Thread: I feel for everyone.

I feel for everyone.

My story is a little different. I worked at a Jail in FL for almost a year and at the end of the day any medication that is expired or the inmate has been released we have to bring up to the top of the hill and drop it off. I had alot of things to carry that day (charts, personal belongings, etc.) and I had a few bubble packs of expired ANTIBIOTICS laying on top of everything that kept falling onto the ground so I picked them up and put them in my work bag to carry up to the top. When I finally got up there I started talking to the MD and my co-workers and forgot all about the pills. I accidently went home with them and realized it once I got home and said OH XXXX! I have to make sure I bring them back tommarrow. I had a "friend" who I was letting stay with me to try and sober up and get his stuff together. Needless to say he was drunk when I was at home and the situation became violent so I asked him to leave by the time I got back and I left the home. He called the police and said I stole medication from work. The police came and I was arrested and ended up being charged with 2 misdemeanors (1petit theft, 1prescription meds without prescription). This happened on 2/07. I've already finished my court requirements and my nursing board requirements end on 7/09. Problem is I'll never escape from the background check everyone requires. I have been an LPN since 1989 (20yrs) and I can't get a job anywhere. The interview goes wonderful until I have to discuss the background and then it's all downhill from there. I don't get called back, or I'm told because of my background they can't hire me. I'm at the point where I don't know whether I can continue being a nurse if I can't get a job. All the good work I did for 18yrs means nothing. The way I'm being treated you would think I killed someone. Does anybody have any advice for me? In the last 2 years since this has happened I lost my home, my job, my health ins, my car, my good name. I'm so upset I don't know what to do. Any words of help, advice or wisdom would be appreciated.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Re: I feel for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynda Maier View Post
    My story is a little different. I worked at a Jail in FL for almost a year and at the end of the day any medication that is expired or the inmate has been released we have to bring up to the top of the hill and drop it off. I had alot of things to carry that day (charts, personal belongings, etc.) and I had a few bubble packs of expired ANTIBIOTICS laying on top of everything that kept falling onto the ground so I picked them up and put them in my work bag to carry up to the top. When I finally got up there I started talking to the MD and my co-workers and forgot all about the pills. I accidently went home with them and realized it once I got home and said OH XXXX! I have to make sure I bring them back tommarrow. I had a "friend" who I was letting stay with me to try and sober up and get his stuff together. Needless to say he was drunk when I was at home and the situation became violent so I asked him to leave by the time I got back and I left the home. He called the police and said I stole medication from work. The police came and I was arrested and ended up being charged with 2 misdemeanors (1petit theft, 1prescription meds without prescription). This happened on 2/07. I've already finished my court requirements and my nursing board requirements end on 7/09. Problem is I'll never escape from the background check everyone requires. I have been an LPN since 1989 (20yrs) and I can't get a job anywhere. The interview goes wonderful until I have to discuss the background and then it's all downhill from there. I don't get called back, or I'm told because of my background they can't hire me. I'm at the point where I don't know whether I can continue being a nurse if I can't get a job. All the good work I did for 18yrs means nothing. The way I'm being treated you would think I killed someone. Does anybody have any advice for me? In the last 2 years since this has happened I lost my home, my job, my health ins, my car, my good name. I'm so upset I don't know what to do. Any words of help, advice or wisdom would be appreciated.

I don't know where you are looking for work - but I have always found that Psychiatric facilities are more forgivireng in their hiring policies than other employers. You might also try linking up with some nurse support groups in your area as other nurses go through the same thing are often great resources. I don't know if you've you've said up front what your circumstances are when you interview.

The first job I interviewed for I told the DON I was an addict in recovery sober times 9 mos under restriction by the state Board and could I please have a job. I stated that if she was willing to take a chance on me I would prove myself an asset to the facilty. She smiled stated "that's wonderful, when can you start?" I worked there for five years had charge of the addiction recovery department for two of them. I have since moved on to a difereent area of nursing. But I am happy sober and making a good living today. This too shall pass for you.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

I have applied at nursing homes, agencies, travel nursing, and hospitals. I have applied on-line and in person. Once I get an interview they see I have been a nurse for 20yrs and there very respectful but once the subject of "Are we going to find anything on your background check"? and I always go in and I'm honest and tell them the whole story they can't seem to get me out of their office fast enough and the response I always hear (when they do respond) is sorry due to your background check we cant hire you. Usually they say it's because of the one charge for prescription meds without a prescription they don't want me around medication. Which is really hard to do if your a nurse. I have even tried to apply for nursing work that doesn't include meds and I still get the same response. I don't know if I live in the wrong area. I do not know of any nursing support groups in this area. Thank you for your support and kind words I do appreciate it.

congrads on your recovery you should be proud of yourself. God Bless.

Just keep trying and putting one foot in front of the other. There IS someone out there that will hire you. For everything you've been through, you've grown TONS and have so much to offer. Let that shine through and let employers know that. Like Hppy mentioned, maybe just ask a potential employer "to please take a chance" on you because you have alot to offer. In fact, it's my belief that nurses that have been through crap are MUCH more dependable, reliable and honest than the average Joe.

Breeeeathe....
    :rolleyes:

Thank you. I keep trying and will continue to keep trying I have no other choice. I appreciate your kind words and support.