Thread: Unsure how to proceed

Unsure how to proceed

Hi everyone! I'm glad I ran across this board as I have been considering going back to finish my nursing degree, but not sure my confidence level is up to going back to school. The posts I have read are very encouraging so far. I have a BS in Business Admin/Accounting. I decided to go to nursing school in 1996 and entered MCV's BSN program. However, due to family circumstances I had to withdraw in 1998(age 27) with just a year to go in order to take care of my mother financially while she was having some health problems. Then I lost my drive, got involved in a relationship, more family issues came up with my grandfathers death and the next thing you know, ten years have almost gone by and now I am 34. However, I keep having this feeling that I need to go back to complete what I started, but keep having this loss of confidence feeling. I contacted MCV to see what classes I would need to take over again, but they won't tell me anything until I apply again and am accepted into the program. I am going to apply again, but wonder if going through a diploma program or an associates would be better if I have to take all my classes over again. I am going to check into getting a 2nd job in a hospital here as a tech or unit secretary to try to get back in the setting to see if that will boost my confidence to proceed again. Does anyone have an insight or thoughts about different programs or ways to proceed?

Thanks for listening.
    Tim

Re: Unsure how to proceed

Go ahead and do it. The more men in the field the better. If the calling is calling you then go ahead. and answer it I have been in the medical field for over 20 yrs and 11+ in nursing. For all the PIA, sexism (rare but happens), and just plain rotten days it has some rewards. I have been able to support of family of 4 and live a pretty good life.

Good Luck