Thread: Need advice in Texas

Need advice in Texas

Hello all

I was (and still am) a recovering alcoholic. About 3 years ago, my daughter
    who is 17 dropped out of school and began running away. I was under ALOT of stress at the time (which isn't an excuse) and went to my PCP. I was prescribed ambien, xanax, and vicodin (for back pain). Big mistake on my part. I should have seen it all coming. To make a long story short, I continued taking the ambien and vicodin but only filled 2 scripts of the xanax and stopped. Slowly over time, I began to abuse the vicodin and ambien. I added marijuana to the mix and then began drinking again.

I finally got tired of living the way I was and checked myself into treatment on 12/1 of this year. My psychiatrist placed me on subonex and I was discharged from treatment on 12/14 in the 12 step recovery program. I asked the therapist at the treatment center if I would be able to take subonex and work. He thought I could. After discharge, I came home and started doing some research because deep down I knew that I really didn't think I could work on it. I went to the TPAPN site and sure enough they will not take any nurse on subonex. I immediately called my employer's HR director and discussed the situation with her. I have short term/long term disability and have decided to devote the next year (which I'll be on the drug) to my recovery program.

I have never diverted medications from the hospital where I work nor have I ever been disciplined for anything but missed time from work. I never used any medications while at work. My role at the hospital was Outpatient Case Manager.

I'm wondering what ramifications I'll have from the Texas Board of Nurse Examiners. I have never in my 28 years of nursing been disciplined by
    the Board for anything. Nor have I had any legal troubles with the law.

I am willing to do whatever it takes to stay alcohol and drug free. The 12 step program has worked for me up until the point I relapsed.

Has anyone had any experience with this and if so I'd love to hear some feedback/advice.

Thanks

Re: Need advice in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Elexandria View Post
    Hello all

I was (and still am) a recovering alcoholic. About 3 years ago, my daughter
    who is 17 dropped out of school and began running away. I was under ALOT of stress at the time (which isn't an excuse) and went to my PCP. I was prescribed ambien, xanax, and vicodin (for back pain). Big mistake on my part. I should have seen it all coming. To make a long story short, I continued taking the ambien and vicodin but only filled 2 scripts of the xanax and stopped. Slowly over time, I began to abuse the vicodin and ambien. I added marijuana to the mix and then began drinking again.

I finally got tired of living the way I was and checked myself into treatment on 12/1 of this year. My psychiatrist placed me on subonex and I was discharged from treatment on 12/14 in the 12 step recovery program. I asked the therapist at the treatment center if I would be able to take subonex and work. He thought I could. After discharge, I came home and started doing some research because deep down I knew that I really didn't think I could work on it. I went to the TPAPN site and sure enough they will not take any nurse on subonex. I immediately called my employer's HR director and discussed the situation with her. I have short term/long term disability and have decided to devote the next year (which I'll be on the drug) to my recovery program.

I have never diverted medications from the hospital where I work nor have I ever been disciplined for anything but missed time from work. I never used any medications while at work. My role at the hospital was Outpatient Case Manager.

I'm wondering what ramifications I'll have from the Texas Board of Nurse Examiners. I have never in my 28 years of nursing been disciplined by
    the Board for anything. Nor have I had any legal troubles with the law.

I am willing to do whatever it takes to stay alcohol and drug free. The 12 step program has worked for me up until the point I relapsed.

Has anyone had any experience with this and if so I'd love to hear some feedback/advice.

Thanks
    Welcome and congrats on your recovery.

Your post raises several issues for me... and not knowing all the details, some questions as well.

Since the biggest worry is about licensing issues for most nurses, I will address this first.

If you have not been reported to the board for practice or work related issues, you should be ok, but I do know that Tx does not allow nurses to take suboxone when monitored.

I personally don't oppose the use of suboxone as a way of detoxinf off opoids, but I also would not suggest it as the first method either, and in your case, as a multi substance abuser, I really don't see where this is indicated or will be effective. I also don't think that there is a need for you to use it for one yr...

I do support the idea of placing recovery first, and personally found this to work. However, I fail to see where taking a year off work is necessary, especially since your addiction did not involve diverting and your job is in a non clinical setting.

First of all, thanks for responding.

I didn't even know what subonex was until my doctor placed me on it while I was in rehab and told me I needed to be on it for a year. Initially I wasn't even sure my insurance was going to cover it. And I told her as much, but she insisted on it regardless of cost. Turns out my insurance does cover it with a $40 copay so that didn't turn out to be an issue. The only issue is not being able to work while taking it. Even though deep down I knew I'd probably not be able to work, reading it online was very difficult for me.
    But I let it go and let God take care of it. For so long I've tried to control every little aspect of my life, it feels good to just let it go and just let things happen as they will. In the past I'd have flipped out over all this but I'm comfortable with it now. It'll mean a little adjustment in living but in the long run I think it'll be for the best. I want to return to work in a year and be the best possible nurse I can be, not only for my patients but for myself as well.

As far as work goes, I have the short/long term disability so financially I can do that with the support of my husband. I'm trying to do whatever they tell me to do because I do not want to relapse. I have both major depression and poly substance abuse so I'm pretty sure I'll qualify for the disability.
    When it comes time to renew my license, I know in Texas I'll need to check off the substance abuse/mental health stuff. So should I call boards myself or should I just let it go and see what happens?

"When it comes time to renew my license, I know in Texas I'll need to check off the substance abuse/mental health stuff. So should I call boards myself or should I just let it go and see what happens?"

I cannot tell you from first hand experience. However, since you are in good standng with your most recent employer, as well as recognized/volunteered to take the measures needed for yourself maybe call the BNE and ask them "off the record" so to speak. They don't have to know your name or any other specifics. Just explain the situation and your concerns.

I admire your honesty & self-recognition to do what is best. Happy Holidays!
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Well first thing Monday morning I called the State Board. I was transferred to a voice mail that basically said to leave my name and number and they would try to get back with me within the next 5 business days. Disappointed to say the least.

Hi, I to am from Texas and began TPAPN in March. I know your pain. My situation a little different, but not so much. Addition is addition after all. My demon was alcohol. While I did not bring it work, or ever went to work believing I still had alcohol in me. I did just that, after drinking AFTER getting off work, I apparently did not give myself enough time to sleep it off and went to work. I was approached because somebody smelled it on me. Next thing I knew I was being tested. (and yes I still did have some in me. I was way shocked, but probably shouln't have been) I too never had problems with the law or with my employment (except for personality clash with one). I asked to particpate in TPAPN and keep my job but was fired anyways after many years @ the same place. I did go to treatment and except that my drinking was a problem and that I needed and wanted help. My drinking esculated after tragically losing my dearest friend, and 4 other people I was close to in 18 mo time, plus recovering from major surgery (just over 2 years ago) I realized I wasn't even through a grieving process, I was too numb, too depressed. After getting sober I was able to move foreward. By the time that happened I lost even more, but hey, this is now and that was then. I'm doing it and feeling good about it. It feels good just to feel again, good or bad. At least I feel alive again. TPAPN going fine so far, through the worst part (I think). Does anyone know if after one has completed the TPAPN program successfully, if I will have to be another program issued by the BON ? I can't wait to stop feeling like a criminal and enjoy my sobriety in more relaxing mannor. This is my first post, i would love to hear from anyone wanting to chat. I love the AA meetings, but so happy to have found a site with other nurses going through similar stressors and joyous times as well.