Thread: Male Nurse's Stories Requested by Reporter

Male Nurse's Stories Requested by Reporter

Howdy gentlemen!
    I am a staff writer with Nurse Lounge Magazine. The April 2006 Issue of Nurses Lounge will contain a 'cover' article on men in nursing. I'd love to hear your stories---why you went into the nursing field, how things have been for you since earning your nursing degree and working as a nurse, etc. By posting here,please know it will give me permission to possibly use what you write in my article.
    Thanks SO much.
    I look forward to reading!
    Iris McKairin
    Nurses Lounge

Re: Male Nurse's Stories Requested by Reporter

Two questions:
    1/ Are you interested in nursing student's stories of why they are going into the field?

2/ Would it be possible to run my story without my name or address? I'm already a health professional (podiatrist) and I'd rather not let my new career "go public" locally for fear that people would automatically I'm no longer in practice. Not that I'm ashamed of my new career choice: far from it. Still, once people heard that I was going to nursing school, it could be the kiss of death for my practice. Good story though!!

Hi! Thanks for your response! Your story sounds wonderful! I'd love to read it. I will be happy to use a pseudonym in place of your real name...absolutely no problem there, if it's alright with you.
    Iris

I see that I already posted a question about my career change in the Nurse's Loung forum, but if there's an actual paper magazine and you'd like a fuller story, I can supply that for you.
    Here's another example of the heartache I hope to avoid by getting out of private practice:
    Got my new Verizon phone book the other day and immediately checked my podiatry practice's listing in the Yellow Pages. It's not there! After 28 years of phone service, they mysteriously left the listing out. I called Verizon and they said they will "investigate" it, but they won't really do anything. Probably offer me a free listing NEXT year, but that'll do me a fat lot of good since I hope to have graduated as an RN shortly after that book comes out. In the meantime, I'm in pretty big trouble since a LOT of my new patients find me via the phone book. Lots of geriatrics who still let their fingers do the walking rather than Googling... I can try to make up for it with ads in the local papers, but that's expensive.
    The point is that private practice of medicine is really tough these days. Every day brings a new example of how Doc's incomes are whittled away. I say, let the hospital I end up working at worry about THEIR Yellow Pages ad!!

Smile Re: Male Nurse's Stories Requested by Reporter

I also would be more than happy to talk to you about nursing. How will we communicate? what would you like to know?