Thread: oh, decisions

oh, decisions

I currently work a .6 at a rural hospital on Med/surg and CCU. We can get up to 2 on call's per schedule. (this is cut from the .6, not in addition). This makes finances VERY tight.

I have a conditional job offer from a home health agency, but also at work they just posted a .8 in OB.

I'm not sure what I want to do. I have no gaurantee of getting hired if I apply for the OB. And..even though I'm interested in OB- what if I do that and hate it? I've asked multiple times to cross train over there- but they don't do that very often.

Now- the home health, I bascially choose my hours- which is great. And- the pay is what I make at the hospital, also great. But- the agency is based out of minneapolis (3 hours away)...so slim chance of getting another case if/when this patient is no longer in their care. So- basically no security. On the other hand- I'd still have my med/surg , CCU position which I'm relatively happy in.

If I go OB, and hate it, I'm stuck until something opened back up on med/surg or CCU- which is VERY few and far between.

Ricu

Re: oh, decisions

Quote Originally Posted by AprilRN View Post
    I currently work a .6 at a rural hospital on Med/surg and CCU. We can get up to 2 on call's per schedule. (this is cut from the .6, not in addition). This makes finances VERY tight.

I have a conditional job offer from a home health agency, but also at work they just posted a .8 in OB.

I'm not sure what I want to do. I have no gaurantee of getting hired if I apply for the OB. And..even though I'm interested in OB- what if I do that and hate it? I've asked multiple times to cross train over there- but they don't do that very often.

Now- the home health, I bascially choose my hours- which is great. And- the pay is what I make at the hospital, also great. But- the agency is based out of minneapolis (3 hours away)...so slim chance of getting another case if/when this patient is no longer in their care. So- basically no security. On the other hand- I'd still have my med/surg , CCU position which I'm relatively happy in.

If I go OB, and hate it, I'm stuck until something opened back up on med/surg or CCU- which is VERY few and far between.
    Hi April,

Doesn't it seem like there's such a thing as having too many choices sometimes? When there appears to be equal pros and cons with all options, try to determine which offers the best situation for your current needs and go there. If you choose the homecare service and finish up with the patient but decide you really like the company, relocating is a possibility albeit a big one. On the other hand, maybe that isn't the best fit if you can't relocate and being without income for a period is impossible. If you decide on the OB job and find you hate it, look for a different position. Even if there is a waiting period, make the best of the time there and consider it a learning experience rather than a consequence. Finally, it's been my experience that looking at other career avenues will often cause us to rediscover that we're really in the best possible situation already. Life is more about the journey and less about the destination. Let us know what you decide.

Good luck,

R

I would apply for OB as you have interest in that area. Don't worry if you will like it or not, be positive and check it out. The home care job you could do on the side. It does not sound like they have alot of home care jobs available for job security,and then you could get stuck.

Sorry- I wasn't clear. The home care IS a side job. It's a 1-2 day a week job to supplement what I currently am doing. It would allow me to stay in a job I love. I am just financially VERY tight right now. (we own 2 homes, one is a rental, but renter isn't paying consistantly)

Also- another piece of info...the OB is in the same hospital- just different dpt.

Anyway- update... After stressing all night about what to do, I was approached this morning by my nurse manager. (FYI- I have e-mailed multiple managers about cross training in diff dpts for added experience and hours).. She asked me if I had a choice, would I prefer to cross train to OB or Mental Health. I told her hands down OB. She stated she thought that was the case...and was in communication with the OB manager trying to talk her into cross training me. She said "I told her that you would be an asset to have cross trained" and that it's possibly in the works.

*dance* lol, it was a good conversation. I have a strong feeling about her reasons for this. She approached me the day after the OB position posted- and she knows I'm begging extra hours right now, and that I had asked to train over there. (when she hired me, OB was my 2nd choice) I feel she is pushing for me to cross train so she doesn't lose me- which is a great feeling! It's nice to know you're wanted!

So- I started filling out paperwork for the home health today, and am waiting to hear about cross training to OB.

Cool Re: oh, decisions

Great! Cross train for the OB position and take the home health position. Then you will have more income. When the home health position finishes, if they don't have another in your area, check out possibilities with another home health agency that services your area. Sounds like you are moving in the right direction.

Sorry I was confused about your jobs. Anyway, sounds like things are working out.