Thread: ER Nurse Director (nurse or not)

ER Nurse Director (nurse or not)

Hi all,
    Thought I would pose this question to see what type of response I would get. I work as an ER physician assistant and have been involved in nurse management with our hospital's prior ER nurse director. Our former director was a close friend and resigned a few weeks ago for another position. He and multiple staff members recommended that I apply for the position since I have excellent trust with the staff and am nearly completed with an MBA.

Our hospital administration wants to hire a life-long nurse manager with absolutely NO clinical or ER experience. I have the full support of the staff, but my last stumbling block with administration is that they want an example of a non-nurse or MBA trained individual that is an ER nurse manager.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks a ton!

Casey

Re: ER Nurse Director (nurse or not)

Interesting thought. I've never known a nursing manager who wasn't a nurse but that doesn't necessarily mean that it couldn't ever be done. I would have to wonder if being a PA would allow you to see things from a nursing practice standpoint rather than a PA point of view. There's a difference after all. That would be my main concern.

Re: ER Nurse Director (nurse or not)

From what I understand, BNE states that a nurse must manage and direct other nurses and is supported by JCAHO. At least in Texas it is. Something you may want to look into though.