Thread: ADN to RN-BSN

Post ADN to RN-BSN

I'm a big fan for education. I was wondering what are some of the ways we can get nurses with ADN to do RN-BSN programs.

Member Extraordinaire

Re: ADN to RN-BSN

I already have my BSN, but I would think higher pay for a higher degree would get more nurses to go for their BSN....

I wanted to go from the USAR Nurse to Regular Component Army Nurse Corps. Regular Army Nurse Corps officers must have a BSN. So, I did the RN-BSN program via UTMB, Galveston, School of Nursing. In the USAR an ADN is accepted. However, to be promotable to MAJ in the USAR must have at least a BSN. In fact, in the Regular Component must have MSN to be promotable to LTC in the Army Nursed Corps.

... are you tracking me?
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

I graduated from an ADN program in 1992. At that time, you could do everything- english, A+P, nursing courses- all at the same time. It really took two years. A BSN was only worth $0.25 per hour more. Now when I talk to people interested in nursing, I encourage a BSN. It takes 3-4 years to get an ADN now, anyway, so why not go ahead and put that time into a BS, right? My degree had not hindered me . I've done management, too. But now I'm working toward my BSN just because I want it. With more on-line RN to BSN programs, it's likely that more working ADN's like me will go ahead and finish the BS, too.

Quote Originally Posted by tabu View Post
    I'm a big fan for education. I was wondering what are some of the ways we can get nurses with ADN to do RN-BSN programs.
    As an ADN program graduate myself, I can say that what motivated me toward additional degrees is probably the norm, which is personal and professional development. Most employers do not pay any higher for a BSN degree over an ADN or diploma nurse. I think it is sad, but it is the truth and the standard. I believe that if there was a distinction in pay between the two then perhaps a pay increase for BSNs would exist. However, that would perpetuate the divisions that already exist in nursing regarding roles and responsibilities.

In retrospect if I were to do it again I might study for the BSN first, but I have to admit that I appreciated my program and was well trained, exceeded clinically and was ready to take the NCLEX. Since going back to school I have learned a great deal about myself as a nurse and a professional, but have gotten no pay increase for it. (no increase in pay with my certification in ER nursing either) Now as I work on the last year of my MSN program I am disappointed that the only monetary reward I will see for having my BSN & MSN degrees will be to change positions and work as the CNS I am training to be. It is unfortunate that more employers do not encourage nurses towards higher education or provide incentives. But I see that as part of the solution.
    ~BeachyCEN

I have yet to graduate, but I will say that I have already planned to go the ADN to BSN route. I had originally planned on just going the BSN route, but after looking at the the course I had from the past that would transfer, and the pre reqs needed for the ADN program here vs. the BSN, I found that I could get through the ADN program faster (about 2 years faster). I will work on the ADN-BSN program while working, because I do plan on moving towards a Masters degree at some point.

Now, I may be a bit of a different case, since I went into this with about 85 credit hours completed, since I had not only a few pre reqs, but all of my co-requisite courses done. Most of the students in my ADN program need 5 classes completed before applying to the program, so if they do things right, they can get through the entire program in about 2 1/2 to 3 years rather than 4.