Thread: Possiblly future male Nurse student

Possiblly future male Nurse student

I just want to say hello and that I am glad I found this site. Since 2003 I have been debating whether or not to become a nurse. My initial reservations in pursuing this career were how would I deal with dying and blood. After much consideration I have been taking my prereqs for nursing school and have been accepted to a 12 month accelerated nursing program at Thomas Jefferson Univerisity.

Since I have been taking my nursing pre reqs I have felt that I have made the right decision. Recently, I have started to question this decision a bit and started to do more research on some forums. There was this one thread on this site that has scared me a bit. In the thread many nurses shared their nursing horror stories. Many who replied this thread felt like they were getting abused by patients, Doctors and felt that because the hospital was understaffed, that they felt burned out. There was this one post of a guy who just had enough and couldn't take it anymore.

I have been attracted to nursing because I do care for people and would like to help them. I also love the fact that nursing is very versatile and flexible. If I do accept my Thomas Jefferson's offer and become a nurse I will definately like to become a travel nurse after my one year of exp because I love to explore new places and love to be constantly meeting new people along the way.

I look forward to talking to current staffed and travel RN's. I also look forward to hopefully talking to some current students and learn from their experiences. Right now I am interested in Emergency and ICU nursing.

:39:

Re: Possiblly future male Nurse student

Fil,
    Welcome! Keep your head up, don't let other people scare you, and remember to study hard.

Talking Re: Possiblly future male Nurse student

Hey fil! I am sort of in the same spot right now. I have been going back and forth about being a nurse. I just remember how my father and grandmother were treated when they were in the hospital and it puts me back in perspective. I have always wanted to make some type of impact one someones life. If I could give them the compassion and care then it would be a wonderful thing. I hope it all works out for you. I am currently trying to transfer into a BSN program..so I'm right there with ya!!:luck:

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Greetings, fil, and welcome to the site! :waving:

'Horror' stories happen in all facets of life, not only nursing. The good thing about nursing, is that the profession puts it in perspective. We discuss the problem, so we (hopefully) don't burn out; only another nurse or health care professional can really understand what is going on. And what better place to do it, then with a group of fellow nurses, eh?

I agree with ravenpaperdoll.....if I can impact one life at a time, I know I have done well. I hope you become a nurse. Also, stop by here during school; we'll support you 100% of the way.

'Cat'

Alot of the horror stories are true but the good thing is that there are alot places that are decent places to work. The Nursing shortage that will get worse allows you to have your pick and you can use Travel Nursing or Relocation and Sign on bonuses to test alot of facilities out. I think also which is important is finding your niche or specialty that you are good at and you love doing then the worst day for someone else may not even phase you. My area is Psych which I love and everywhere I've been I've heard situations I witnessed described as horror stories but to me they were the norm. Patients whether they are Psych or Med Surg are not at their best when they are in the hospital and suffering and neither are their families at times. In that sense all nursing requires Psych skills in dealing with patients, families, fellow staff, MD's, other disciplines. Managing Crisises is definitely a skill and the better you get at it the more often you prevent crisises from happening or escalating making your job much easier. By the way I hated Nursing School but love Nursing so if it gets to be a pain at times manage it like another crisis. They always give you too much to do to any of it well so you have to Triage what you will focus on. Practice NCLEX Multiple choice questions going through school too.

CJ Travel NurseToolbox :luck:

Welcome to the site. I can't think of a career that offers more choices than nursing. There is something out there for everyone. It just may take a little time for you to find your niche. My sister is an LVN and for 20 years she worked LTC and didn't really like it. She didn't like the hospital work either. But since she has gone to work for a pediatric clinic she has been very happy. Don't believe all the "horror" stories. Just be competent, reliable and on time. Be someone your co-workers can count on and when they see your name on the schedule they say:

oh good, Fil149 is working today

Good luck.

Thanks for everyones reply. I know that every job has it's ups and downs but this one you really have a huge influence on a patient. I guess I'm a little afraid of being overwhelmed because many places are understaffed. Also working in a positive team environment is key for me, and I know that is not always possible. What I do like about nursing is that we are in such great demand and that if some unit or place of employment is not working out I can try other options.

I definately agree with finding my niche Heyfrado, and when/if I start my clinicals in less that two months I will be looking foward to see whether or not ICU or Emergency care best suits me. I was just getting a little discouraged because of some of the things I've been hearing and reading.

Raven good luck with your school search. I can relate with you on how hard making this step is. Since I already been accepted to a nursing program and school would be starting very soon; I feel that I must reevaluate this decision one more time before I commit to paying $30,000 for my education while be putting all my efforts into it. It seems that the nurses I know do enjoy their job, but they all agree that it is difficult. If I can make a difference in somebodies life, and feel satisfied withthe work I do then I know this will be all worth it. I just have to pray for strength and guidance and hope that I do make the right decision.

Once again thanks for replying and I really do look forward to reading more posts and hopefully find some guidance through this site.