Thread: Is there a wait for an AD in nursing?

Is there a wait for an AD in nursing?

Hello,

Im just starting my path to nursing, first as a care aid or CNA as u call it in the U.S. Although Im just starting my RCA, my goal is that of a RN.Im just looking into options with regards to my future schooling.

I gained a little insight from this forum and noticed how many people would suggest skipping the CNA to LPN to RN route in favor of CNA to RN.In Vancouver, B.C., where I'm from, the typical waiting list for any given RN program is roughly 2 years, a bit disconcerning.Thats a BSN degree, there are no AD's offered here.

Im looking into the possibility of how I can do a AD in Nursing in the U.S..If i have to wait 2+ years here..just to get into the program, I would rather use that time and school myself, then work and wait as a CNA for another 2 years.Also I realize the uphill battle with the cost of supporting myself in the states as well as problems with work visas(if possible)...etc.If i could somehow find work as a CNA to support myself through school, what would it pay?..if a LPN is getting pay $9.50-$12.50/hr,(which just drops my jaw) i gringe at what a CNA would make.

For those just getting into nursing, what is the typical wait for an ADN in the US? What's the wait time for an AD on the west coast? hopefully not 2 years like it is here.

Thnx

Re: Is there a wait for an AD in nursing?

In the US for ADN or BSN programs, you'll wait anywhere from no wait in the more rural areas, to two or three years in the more urban programs. Depends on where you go.

I don't think it would be worth moving the US just to attend a nursing program unless you plan on working here long-term.

You can find work as a nursing assistant anywhere in the US as long as you're legal to work. Most hospitals will give you healthy benefits packages and pay you enough to live on as a nursing assistant. Most hospitals round here are getting better about paying for a nursing education if you commit to working for them after you graduate.

Lots to think about in making your decision.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursefriendly.com

Thnx so much for your reply.

cheers,

Anytime, glad to help.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursingstudents.com