Thread: Considering a nursing career...

Considering a nursing career...

Hi everyone,

I just found this forum while researching the nursing profession. I'm currently a student studying mass communication (advertising) and I do not like it anymore and do not wish to work in the field at all. Something about manipulating people into buying things they don't need doesn't make me feel good at all...

I have always wanted to be in health care somehow, but always was intimidated by the science courses. I didn't think I could do well so I stuck to more creative 'right brain' ventures.
    Anyhow, to make a long story short I'm considering furthering my education in medicine. I'm graduating this December and I'm confused. I had first wanted to be a dentist, then a plastic surgeon and now nursing sounds like a great career.

I love interacting with others and I need a job where I am not at a desk and that has variety. I also think being a anesthetist might be a good choice. The guy who put me to sleep last summer for my surgery was a nurse and I couldn't have had a better experience, especially with the nurses both male and female who were helping out after the surgery. I'm also interested in cosmetic stuff...I think plastic surgery is like art on the human body and so fascinating.

Does anyone have any insight or advice for someone in my situation? I want to know for sure I would like this career since it's going to cost me a lot of time and money and I'd hate to give up. All the career test results say I should be in the health care field. I also don't want to feel weird in school if the gender bias is really that bad? Sorry for such a long first post but any advice would be appreciated!! I'm desperate!

-E

You will figure it out.

I plan on getting my BSN and then applying to medical school. I will be getting it in nursing. It is what is working for me at my present time. It is tougher to become a doctor and more expensive. I am fortunate enough to get grants and I haven't and won't pay one dime of nursing school. I know that I will probably end up in debt trying to become a Doctor right now and just don't want to deal with that. I will get the standard associates and then take all the classes to prep me towards a BSN for medical school. People will always have there advice and opininons about what you do but remember to follow your heart. You can accomplish great things. Perserverance is key and life does not spell out what you can and can't do. Try both if you want. It is all a matter of how much patience you have. Most medical schools prefer that you have a bachelors. It will help you to get in. People may suggest that you should go in to medical school first but things are so different now, there are so many options. I have heard of nurses becoming doctors. It can be done.

Don't worry about being a male nurse if that is your choice

You will be adored on your unit by your co-workers because of that (being a male), especially by the women. I have worked with male nurses and they are great. They are always willing to help and they don't deal with drama like women usually do. The patients may prefer a woman but they just ask for someone else for certain thing. Your work continues after that and that is that. No big deal. There is a nursing shortage and Doctor's will soon be facing the brunt. We all should support and embrace anyone who is willing to work in the healthcare field. We need the help. The shortage will only get worse, as many people are choosing other fields that are not as demanding.