Thread: home-based RN jobs

home-based RN jobs

Hi everyone!
    I am a California based RN atively looking for home-based nursing opportunities. I have experience in the following areas: UR, Telephone Triage, Public Health, LTC, Home Health, and Med/Surg. I have a home office equipped with computer, printer, and fax machine.
    I would sincerely appreciate any employment information or resources.
    Thank You.
    Sharon in Sac, CA
    sflohaug@cs.com

Re: home-based RN jobs

Hello Sharon,

The bulk of things you can do from home involve starting your own business as a legal nurse consultant, network marketing or opening up some kind of franchise.

A good resource would be the

National Nurses in Business Association. http://www.nnba.net

They are an organization of nurse-owned businesses and have all kinds of workshops, member links, conferences and advice.

You can also check out http://www.nursingentrepreneurs.com this site is an online directory of nurse-owned businesses that gives free advertising to nurse-owned businesses.

Be very careful of any "opportunities" that ask you to pay a fee up front. There are a ton of scams out there that prey on people looking to make money from home.

Hope that helps,

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com

Have you ever thought about teaching? If you have a BSN, you can teach at Community Colleges. They have online classes almost everywhere now.

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't most states mandate at least an MSN to teach nursing courses?

Member Extraordinaire

I teach clinical rotations for a communit college (no lecture) and have a BSN. I also do skills check offs before clinical rotation starts. I may do a subject lecture...like an inservice but not the whole course those prof do have MSN

That's what I thought. Thanks Cassioo.

[ QUOTE ]
    grapejam88 said:
    Correct me if I am wrong, but don't most states mandate at least an MSN to teach nursing courses?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to say it, but that mandate might be changing in the near future. The average age of a nursing instructor in the US is 53 years old. Unless we graduate a whole lot of MSNs in the near future that go into teaching, we'll see BSNs playing a much larger role in teaching future nurses.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com

I agree that the mandate of MSN in order to teach nursing classes might have to change and not just because we aren't churning out enough MSN-prepared instructors. Let's face it. Why is it good enough for BSN trained RNs to train our graduating nurses in the clinical arena (and sometimes less than BSN doing it), the area where greatest competence is needed? Apparently you don't need an MSN for that. Furthermore, I can teach critical care classes in my hospital with no training whatsoever, just gather some materials, some gumption, maybe a powerpoint presentation and go to town. As long as it makes sense and there is fact to back up what is being said, it's allowed. I do not have my BSN yet. I am working on it currently. But I have always found it curious that MSN was "necessary" to do what others can do without it. What a game of politics it is sometimes. I am all for academia, if the road you choose is one of management, research or areas which absolutely REQUIRE such degrees--running a hospital for instance (maybe not even then). I just don't see the proof of necessity in the teaching of basic nursing classes for the need degree of MSN. I wondered this all through my courses. Let's talk/debate. Maybe there is no debate.