Thread: low pay

Unhappy low pay

Here is my dilemma, I'm on my first assignment in California with RNNetwork. I keep reading about how RNNetwork is so great! My apartment is very nice, but it's so frustrating always hearing about how travel nurses make so much money! Where?!! Compared to other travel nurses I'm not making nearly as much as they are! I'm getting paid 29/hr, take home is about $820/week. And for the amount of crap I put up with from the hospital that I'm at it is totally not worth it. Other nurses are making the same amount as me plus up to $3500/month tax free for housing, plus benefits. Someone who has been doing this for awhile, please help me and provide me with some tips. I would like to continue to travel and would like to start my next assignment in San Diego.

Re: low pay

I believe the other nurses are taking the housing stipend, right?
    So try to find your own housing next time that's what I'm going to do. I'm with RNNetwork too on 2nd assignment,I'm finding out they pay less, I'm going to shop around because one company called me and gave me a 5 dollar an hour more than RNNETWORK offered for my next assignment. Find out the other companies and check them out

Member Extraordinaire

You can make a lot more money if you take the stipend and find your own housing. Be careful, some companies (like Access Nurses) will quote you a really high hourly rate, and then fail to mention that if you want benefits like insurance, etc, that they will deduct that from your hourly rate. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples when comparing hourly pay. Check out things like insurance deductibles/copays, travel reimbursement, etc....

San Diego in general doesn't pay as much as elsewhere in CA.
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

Which companies are giving up to $3500 month housing stiphend? Just curious.
    Ann

Quote Originally Posted by sontas View Post
    Here is my dilemma, I'm on my first assignment in California with RNNetwork. I keep reading about how RNNetwork is so great! My apartment is very nice, but it's so frustrating always hearing about how travel nurses make so much money! Where?!! Compared to other travel nurses I'm not making nearly as much as they are! I'm getting paid 29/hr, take home is about $820/week. And for the amount of crap I put up with from the hospital that I'm at it is totally not worth it. Other nurses are making the same amount as me plus up to $3500/month tax free for housing, plus benefits. Someone who has been doing this for awhile, please help me and provide me with some tips. I would like to continue to travel and would like to start my next assignment in San Diego.

westways staffing services in California and HRN

Quote Originally Posted by sontas View Post

taking the stipen is how i make my money
    i do get paid $4 more an hour from my staff job in Rochester, NY
    but after taxes and what not it really isn't a whole hell of a lot more money to be honest

but when i take the stipend and find my own place to live
    usually rent a room from a family
    i bank
    pay usually between $300-500 a month and pocket the rest
    now i do not own a home so my stipend is taxed but even after taxes and my room rent i am bringing home anywhere from $600-$900 more a month
    thats how you make money as a traveler