Thread: Cola may be bad for bones?

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Cola may be bad for bones?

Just what I did NOT want to hear! I drink one or two a day at times.....
    MedlinePlus: Cola May Be Bad to the Bones
    SATURDAY, April 26 (HealthDay News) -- While enjoying a cola or two every day might seem harmless enough, recent research suggests that those tasty drinks could be compromising your bone health.
    "There is enough evidence that high consumption of soda and carbonated beverages is associated with somewhat lower bone mass in children, and that's a real concern and people should be aware of it," said Dr. Lawrence Raisz, director of the University of Connecticut Center for Osteoporosis.
    The exact mechanism behind the problem isn't clear, but experts believe that drinking soda -- particularly colas -- affects bone density in several ways. One reason may be that people who drink colas are simply less likely to get enough calcium and vitamin D in their diets, because the soda is replacing more nutritious beverages, such as milk or calcium-fortified juice.
    Or, it could be related to the caffeine in colas, because caffeine has been linked to a higher risk of osteoporosis.
    The third possible explanation focuses on one of the ingredients found in colas: phosphoric acid. Phosphoric acid can cause an imbalance in the body as the body seeks to neutralize the acid with calcium. If there isn't enough calcium in the diet, the body will take calcium from the bones.
    "Phosphate is in milk, but milk also contains calcium and vitamin D. In soft drinks, there is just phosphoric acid and no calcium. Extra overzealous drinking may lead to a phosphoric acid imbalance, and if there's not enough calcium, the body goes to the bones to restore the balance," explained Dr. Primal Kaur, director of the Osteoporosis Center at Temple University Health Sciences Center in Philadelphia.
    Low levels of calcium are associated with the development of osteoporosis, a disease that thins the bones so much that they're at risk of fracture. More than half of Americans, especially postmenopausal women, have an increased risk of developing osteoporosis, according to the National Osteoporosis Foundation.
    In a study that included more than 2,500 people with an average age of about 60, researchers from Tufts University found that cola consumption by women was associated with lower bone mineral density at three hip sites, regardless of age, menopause, total calcium and vitamin D intake. The women reported drinking an average of five carbonated drinks a week, four of which were colas.
    There was less of a problem with decaffeinated cola, but the findings were similar for diet soft drinks. The researchers didn't find an association between cola drinking and lower bone mass in men.
    Results of the study were published recently in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
    "Moderation is really important. If you really like soft drinks, you don't need to take them out of your diet completely, but limit yourself to one or two glasses" a week, Kaur said.
    And, she added, make sure you're getting enough calcium and vitamin D to protect your bone health. Vitamin D needs vary by age, and where you live, so check with your doctor to find out how much vitamin D you should be consuming each day. Kaur said that if you're not getting at least 1,000 to 1,200 milligrams of calcium daily from your diet, you should take a calcium supplement to ensure you're getting adequate amounts of the mineral.
    Another important way to prevent osteoporosis, according to Raisz, is to exercise.
    "The standard recommendation is a half an hour a day for adults and an hour a day for kids, but anything is better than nothing," he said. "Try to walk at least a half a mile a day, and engage in a weight-bearing exercise of some sort."
    I always figured it was the Phosphoric Acid. If it's the caffeine's fault, would coffee fit in here, too?

Thoughts or comments?

Re: Cola may be bad for bones?

I drink Diet Coke every day, but I have good density according to my scan. Of course, I also have a high intake of high calcium. Wouldn't want me to withdraw from my Diet Coke, no way. no how!! I was also under the understanding that it was the PO4 also. I am also leery of so many reports that tell me what is bad for me. There seems to be something new everyday. I think we ought to go to the ice cream sundaes as "good for you" like in the Woody Allen movie "Sleeper".

I hear ya on the sundaes, Katy! Make mine hot fudge.....LOTS of hot fudge.

I drink regular NON diet Coke Classic; stuff does wonders when I'm flying around at work. The orthopaedic doctor I go to thinks my bones are pretty good, too. Must be all the floor punding I do.

Member Extraordinaire

I didnt know this was new news.

Ya know....one week something is 'good for you', and the next week the opposite is true. Honestly!

I like fudge, but really prefer Carmel on my Sundae, but I would "make the sacrifice" if chocolate is all we have. haha

Quote Originally Posted by cassioo View Post
    I didnt know this was new news.
    It isn't. The fact that it impairs kidney function is not knew news but people tend to forget about this as time goes by,

Renal Osteodystrophy

Oh my this is something that I don't have to worry about. I don't drink any pop or soda...depending on where you are from. I have plenty of other things that I need to seriously change in my life but not having to worry about giving this up is great. However if it goes for coffee too...well I can't get completely carried away. I don't think I could give that up. My mother...god bless her little heart at almost 74...this is pretty much all she drinks... pop and iced tea.

One minute somethings 'good for you', then the next minute.... forget it: it's bad for you. I guess this is for those who go waaaay overboard.