Thread: Maintenance Man like to tell me how to be a nurse

Maintenance Man like to tell me how to be a nurse

Here's todays gripe: Yesterday at work I am the only RN in the in the building with 58 residents. We are short staffed with 3 cna's. I am training a new LPN, I have multiple people standing at the nurses station needing anything from their past due bills, to a resident in need of my attention because she is about to fall. So....I hear one of the cna's call my name and I go see what has happened. A common occurance in the nursing facility where I work. I find the resident has been placed back into her wheelchair (she scooted out, didnt fall).....this has been happening on a daily basis sometimes 3-4 times a day. She has been pre-screened to get a restraint (lap belt, etc) although we are a no restraint facility. I take none of my residents falls or incidents lightly. I look them over, make sure they are ok, do an incident report and a fall prevention report, call family, call doc, do checks on the resident, etc.

Low and behold the maintenance man is standing at the nursing desk. He wants to talk to me. He begins to tell me that I should have responded more quickly to this incident and that I should have told the cna not to pick that woman up off the floor until I looked her over. OK, now I have the maintenance man who obviously just got a dime store nursing license telling me what to do. I tell him in a very direct tone of voice that I have 58 residents to watch, as soon as I was told that there was a resident on the floor I went to check her out. I also asked him if he knew this certain residents history of scooting out of her chair and how many times in the last week she has done this. Information that actual is none of his business.

I am very angry at this maintenance guy for telling me how to do my job. Yes, the cna should have allowed me to assess the situation before she was moved, but this certain resident has been doing this for 2 weeks now, family knows *(and even commented on how grandma just kind of bounces)* Doctor knows about this resident and knows that this has been going on for weeks. I dont need a maintenance man telling me, a registered nurse, how to do my job. I let him know in no uncertain terms that I know my job there, I can only respond when I know there is a fall or incident, I cant read minds and I am not a miracle worker. He tried to make a few jokes later on and I was not willing to even laugh at him. This coming from a guy who tried to say I wasnt putting in the accucheck strips in the right way a few weeks ago and then laughing when I looked at him and asked him if he wanted to do my job. I am not putting him down for being the maintenance guy, just for trying to show me up with my job. I am a damned good nurse, not the best, but I do know my job I also have a family member in this facility, I care for my residents, and I know how family members worry. They want the best for their family members. What does anyone think of this and have you ever dealt with such a thing? I would appreciate opinions. Thanks in advance.

Re: Maintenance Man like to tell me how to be a nurse

If you give him "permission" to get to you.... he will take it.

Personally, I'd report him to your Supervisior. Unless he is doing maintenance work at your location he has no business in your business. And if he is truly working near you then he needs to being doing his work and not nosing into your's.

WR,,, three commas for Becca.

Hey Rameous . . . maybe the guy was just hittin' on you. You know like trying to start up a conversation. You probably look pretty cute in your white nurses uniform and white stockings. <j/k>

Just brush it off my friend, if he continues to bother you then do something about it. But we can't let everyone's words get to us. If he was hitting on you, he needs a lesson on how to woe woman, offering his assistance would of been a much better approach.