Thread: dui times 2 anyone have the same situation

dui times 2 anyone have the same situation

Hello there,
    I am a seasoned 15 year Nurse with 2 dui's in the past 4 years. I was asked to surrender my license. However, I fought it, and was given 1 year suspension, and 3 years probation. Anyone else going through this have advice on how to approach this.

j:nurse-hang:

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Wink Re: dui times 2 anyone have the same situation

Quote Originally Posted by judielaustin View Post
    Hello there,
    I am a seasoned 15 year Nurse with 2 dui's in the past 4 years. I was asked to surrender my license. However, I fought it, and was given 1 year suspension, and 3 years probation. Anyone else going through this have advice on how to approach this.

j:nurse-hang:
    Let me preface by stating that everything depends on the laws and policies of the BON in the State where you live and practice. So if you have access to legal council you might seek out advice relative to your specific situation. Be careful about "volunteering" for any program offered to you by you state board unless you fully understand what you are getting into.

State Boards of Nursing in general operate under the mandate of ensuring that nurses are safe to practice. One of the things they look at is your ability to make safe sound judgements. Driving under the influence is not a sign of safe sound judgement. The best policy is to never drive even after just one drink. Many nurses who are not alcoholics end up in monitoring programs simply because they lacked the judgment with regard to drinking and driving.

Also be aware that in the aftermath of the recent tragedy on Taconic Parkway where 8 people including 4 small children died in an alcohol related crash states are craking down on DUI's - In California there is a bill to permanently revoke a driver's license after a 2nd DUI.

Whatever you decide - be safe out there - and if you think you may have a drinking problem please do something about it.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

Re: dui times 2 anyone have the same situation

Judie,

I too had 2 dui's and mine were in the space of 5 years, one in 03 and the other in 08. My state doesn't automatically report to the BON so I was able to keep my nursing license unscathed. I sure have become educated in finding and reading the posts here. I never realized that dui's could affect one's nursing license. I'm very sorry for your plight and all of the other's I have read of here. I know that I will never drink and drive again.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks to happy for having this resource for us. It is a wonderful forum.

Karen

Facebook User

i also have 1 reckless op and then 7 months later got an ovi. this was during the time that i am under a consent agreement for substance abuse. i was not drinking but was abusing my prescription drugs which i had become addicted too. i am now in a recovery program and am hoping that will help if the board ever finds out.

Quote Originally Posted by sunniern View Post
    Judie,

I too had 2 dui's and mine were in the space of 5 years, one in 03 and the other in 08. My state doesn't automatically report to the BON so I was able to keep my nursing license unscathed. I sure have become educated in finding and reading the posts here. I never realized that dui's could affect one's nursing license. I'm very sorry for your plight and all of the other's I have read of here. I know that I will never drink and drive again.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks to happy for having this resource for us. It is a wonderful forum.

Karen
    Please be aware BON's are requiring fingerprinting and criminal checks for nurses and while this is being implemented differently in each state, and not all states have started this yet, it will "catch" anyone who has been convicted for DUI's.