Thread: Dress Codes and Headdresses

Dress Codes and Headdresses

Does anyone know the general rule about Muslim female nurses wearing headdresses (hijabs)? Has anyone worked with (or is) a nurse who wears a hijab at a hospital? A nursing student wasn't allowed to do her clinical work at a hospital unless she removed her hijab.

Re: Dress Codes and Headdresses

I personally have never seen a uniform policy that restricts headdresses. (and I have read many) I have never seen a nurse wearing a headdress but I have seen physicans wear them with no comment on anyone's part. I think that not allowing a student to wear her hijab could constitute a serious discrimination problem as it does not interfere with her work or performance in any way. I realize it is not as obvious, but I see many nurse wearing their cross and star of david, not the same nurses, of course.

Recently in the US, a woman applying for a driver's license insisted that she must be allowed to keep her headdress on for her photograph citing religious privilege.

It was struck down by the courts (rightly so in my opinion) due to the fact that it obscured her appearance and identity and could hinder identification attempts.

If you are working for an employer and your easy identification is an issue (in most places that deal with the public, it definitely is) I'd be surprised to see an employer cave into that arguement. The law is clearly on the side of having employees subject to rapid, unhindered identification.

Wearing a cross or star of david doesn't interfere with identification or obscure a person's appearance, it's simply a piece of jewelry. Like an earring or ring, as long as it abides by a dress code, they are a totally different issue than a hijab.

Doctors are usually not employees of hospitals and not subject to their dress codes. Even if they were, doctors get away with one helluva lot more rule infringements than other hospitals workers.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursefriendly.com

I agree with you nursing humor. the use of the hijabs is part of a culture and religion. I have developed and understandng why mulsim woman that ware it, It is an insult to have it removed. Plus it ticks off the husbands. But a facial picture is required for I.D., Thats where the respect for their culture must end and they must respect our culture must start. But please remember if we went to another country and had to remove our pants and underware as part of a security inspection, we just would not go to that country. Well most of us wont.

What ever happened to, "When in rome do as the Romans."